3.22.2011

Why I love Modern Technology . . . Earthquake Edition

Where are Taylor and Kelly? Tokyo 2009
A few weeks ago, I got a call from Alaina telling me there had been a 9.0 magnitude earthquake in Japan.  And I hung up on her. It was 1 AM,  and I had just started to doze off so it took me a second to shake off the sleep fog.  I heard my phone buzz again, and the fog was gone, replaced by a pit in my stomach. We were in Denver visiting friends, so I padded down the stairs so I could call Alaina back without waking anyone up. I tried turning on my friends' TV, but couldn't figure it out (I am very technologically challenged) so I flipped open Tay's laptop, looking for the latest updates. Then I saw an email from my Dad:


Bad earthquake here. Mom and I are safe for now. Phones aren't working. Will communicate when possible. 


 It was nice to hear from him, and know he was OK. The "for now" part? Didn't love that. It was in the middle of the day in Japan, so I knew my dad was at the office. Who knew where my mom was? I settled into a love seat and thought about my parents' adventures. They have experienced their fair share of  disasters. Our cul-de-sac became a river when Houston flooded in 1994. They were in Washington DC for the snipers, and 9/11. They were in New Orleans for Hurricane Katrina. When they moved to Tokyo, we joked about the bad luck they would bring to their new city. A couple of months later, Mom had her heart attack. That felt like a disaster to our family, so we decided that that had been their Japanese disaster. And here I sat again, waiting for news from my parents. 


I began searching online for news on the earthquake, and only found preliminary reports. I saw that Tia and Alaina had both signed on to Skype and we began to chat as we waited. It brought so much comfort to me, being able to talk to my sisters as everyone slept around me. 


We talked for a few hours, as we waited to hear that my parents had found each other. That my dad had scootered his way home from the office after the first two big earthquakes. That my mom had evacuated to a park, and then gone to help a friend. That though the after shocks continued, they had found each other and were both OK. We finally got through to them on the phone, and hearing their voices brought more comfort. Tia and I decided it was OK to try to go back to sleep, and joked about the mindless things we would think about in an attempt to be able to fall asleep after all this craziness.


But it was the Skype conversations in the middle of it all that meant so much to me. Thanks to Skype, I was able to talk and feel close to my sisters even though we were spread across the country. And my dad, huddled under his desk in his hard hat, seventeen stories up, was able to send us an email on his Blackberry as the world shook around him.  (Go away Bear) We finally got to hear their voices thanks to Vonage. And after finally falling asleep, I woke up to many texts and emails from supportive friends and family. So many tender mercies. So many blessings. Ain't technology grand?


Our prayers continue for Japan.  Courage, love, and hope. Kami sama ga mamoru youni. 

6 comments:

Cade + Tosha said...

I'm so glad your parents are ok! When I heard about the disaster, your parents were the first people I thought of. It seriously is so great that we are able to communicate so efficiently especially when it matters most! i didn't realize your parents had been through so many major disasters! what is up with that! there must be some special reason. maybe they are just such a light to those around them that they are needed in these kind of crazy times :) that's my guess :)

Lindsey Sharp said...

How scary! Glad they are okay!

eliza and christopher said...

I'm so glad you girls had each other while everything was happening over there. Nothing quite like a sister to comfort and support you when you need it. I'm so glad your parents are ok. It just about broke my heart when I heard. I agree with Tosh though your parents are something special!

Tia Bowen Films said...

you said it, sis :) lucky-ness.

Through skype, you provided "blue bagel", the slap happy comic relief of the century...!

Julie said...

Great post.

I often find myself thinking that it is amazing what it has to take for me to stop taking people/good health/safety/freedom/etc. for granted. I automatically assume that my loved ones and me should have all of those things, that those things are never going to happen to me or to someone I know. But they do.

I am so glad that your parents are alright. I can't imagine how scared you and your sisters were, but I am happy that you had each other. Thank goodness for our families. And for Skype and Vonage. Those things make my life easier too. Tender mercies for sure. I will hug my loved ones a little more tightly tonight.

xxx

Jacob said...

im so glad everything was ok. im so sorry you all had to go through this. i hope all is well. love to you all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails