9.01.2008

Somewhere in Middle America

So now that we've lived here a couple months I feel like it's safe to form some opinions of our new city.

The Good:
The humidity. This could fall into the bad category depending on who you are talking to so I'll just say this. Even though I have had heat rash all month, I have not had to put lotion on once since I moved here. You be the judge on that.

The people. People are so friendly here! I feel l like I'm in the south again! People are so nice to me! I am trying to tell myself it's not because of the wheelchair/crutches/walking boot and people are just friendly.

The lightening storms/rain/sunsets. We miss the mountains. Big time. But when there is nothing blocking your view of the horizon the dawn/dusk are both equally amazing. For the first time in my life I enjoy getting up to watch the sun come up.

Law school. I am so proud of all the hard work Taylor is doing. He has found something he loves and I LOVE watching him thrive in something he's committed to.

The Bad:
Store names. I hate the names out here. NO FRILLS, BAG N'SAVE, Kum and Go . . . what? Who thinks that is a good idea? I don't know why that bothers me so much but I have found one grocery store that I am a fan of. It's called Hyvee. I don't know why. But it has really good produce.

The radio stations. I can't fully blame this on Omaha because I may not know the good ones yet but I miss having my preset stations. Now I just hit scan and it goes through the Christian Rock stations one by one. There are a million of those out here.

The bugs. The spiders and crickets are enormous out here. Again, I'm reminded of the south. But on the plus side, I really love falling asleep to the sound of bugs and cicadas. It's soothing for some reason. And it drowns out Tay's snoring a little bit.

Jobs. The laws are stupid out here and I can't run lasers. So I have had to get creative in the job search. But some things are working out so we will see what happens!

That's all.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails