5.24.2009

Easy Peasy Japenesey

We left for Tokyo the day after Taylor finished up finals. After a celebratory breakfast with some law school friends, we were on our way to visit Mama San and Papa San.

There was some flu excitement waiting for us at the airport! We spent an hour on the runway while guys dressed in nuclear suits checked our temperatures with a thermal camera. If anyone had a temperature then they were immediately sent off the plane and quarantined.  I guess I was giving off some thermal heat because they did a second check on me while everyone stared. I wanted to tell the guy that of course I was warm, I was growing a human inside me and trapped on a hot airplane. But luckily I passed, and after one poor guy had to do the walk of shame to be quarantined, we were allowed off. We barely made it though, people sitting anywhere within 3 rows of the guys were quarantined as well. So we were safe by only one row!



I just have to say that going to Japan at 6 months pregnant is not good for the old ego. The people there are so teeny tiny. The 6'3'' white guy and his round, pregnant wife stuck out just a little. But we had such a great time and really enjoyed our last trip as just the two of us. We loved every minute.   My parents are still in their temporary housing and had a fabulous view of downtown from the 23rd floor.

 It was wonderful to be with my mom on Mother's Day, and we went to see a famous sculpture made by a man in honor of his dear mother:


Nothing says I love you like a big, hairy spider!

Here's the rest of the trip in pictures:

We checked out the goods at the famous fish market,

went for a family run around the Imperial palace,

(and had to take multiple potty breaks on the way),


saw some Sumo wrestling,


tried it out on our own,
did some Tai Chi in the park,
chaperoned Taylor's first Disneyland experience,

ate the yummiest popsicles ever, (anything Mickey-shaped tastes better)

and enjoyed the local cuisine. Well Tay enjoyed a little more than me. I wasn't quite so adventurous this time around, and got to know the locations of many a bagel shop in the greater Tokyo area.  Baby B just wasn't feeling fish eggs and octopus.

As always, I was sad to say goodbye and became the crazy hormonal lady, crying at the bus stop. 

Baby B really liked Tokyo and my belly about doubled in size (as you can see here).

I really, really love these two rockstars:

 . . . and feel so lucky that we were able to see them in their new city.  Tia are you picking up on the secret McIntire pinky wave? 

We've slowly recovered from jet lag, and re-entered the real world back in the sunny midwest. Nebraska welcomed us home with summer! It was a great trip and even better because I got the husband to myself for a whole week.  And we are now 2L's. Hooray!

More pics here!

11 comments:

Clark Family said...

AWWWW looks like yall had so much fun! I hate that your rents are so far but luckily we have airplanes and phones! you are the cutest ever prego! you are not even showing yet!!!! you suck!!!:) love yall!

Jo said...

Come BAAAACK! We miss having ya'll here! X O

Kira Jay said...

Looks like you guys had a fun trip! Seriously can't even tell you are pregnant yet!

The Smith Family said...

What a fun trip! Glad you guys had a great time and are back 'home' now!:) And I must say, you are much more adventurous than I am at 6 months preggo!:) Awesome!

Tia Bowen Films said...

i picked up on it alright. but you spelled the secret wave out for everyone to see... that blows the secret!

Unknown said...

Aww, what an amazing trip. I heard someone call it their "babymoon". Looks like fun was had by all :)

Megan said...

Love it! My parents lived close to one block from the palace and not once did I go running there. You have shamed me again, pregnant girl {said in Japanese dishonor voice}

Monique and Michael said...

Is your cell phone really lime green? That is awesome.

Emilee Porter said...

Didn't realize that you guys were going to Japan. How fun! You look so great pregnant. You aren't hardly showing!!!

Dan and Dee said...

I know that spider well! AND the "Friendly Limousine Bus"
It's so fun you got to go and see Tokyo. We will be there in a couple of weeks with your folks, Carruths as well as Tiana and Jason.
I hope you got to eat the yummy cream puffs they have there! If not, next trip!

Stacia Cummings said...

First of all, you do not look 6 months pregnant which isn't fair, second of all, your still running!?, third, Taylor has never been to Disneyland!!?? I hope he knows there is much more of that on the way. If he's like Jeremy Disneyland is not a top priority so when the little boys are old enough we might have to take matters into our own hands.

I'm so excited you are coming. I would love to see you too. Let's make sure it happens. Do you have Jeremy's number?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails