Play by play:
Monday, June 30th:
City Creek Canyon: We decided to kick off our fourth of July week with some mountain biking Monday evening. On our way back down the trail, I lost control of my bike on some loose gravel and managed to fracture my tibia, fibula, and talus without even skinning my knee.
Tay ran up the hill to find me sitting on the trail holding my leg up with my right foot pointing the wrong way (see previous post). At that point we both knew I wouldn't be walking off the mountain. We were glad, however, that we had made the last minute decision to pack my
cell phone as we were walking out the door. That is something we don't usually bring, but have learned our lesson now!
Taylor called 911 and they sent some firemen up to help me brace my leg while they figured out how to get me down the mountain because we were still about a mile away from the trailhead. At that point I remember thinking I was really glad I had shaved that morning, with all of these firemen holding my legs. They carried me half way down on a stretcher and then took me the rest of the way down the mountain on a 4-wheeler. Somewhere in all the craziness someone either stole or stashed Tay's bike, which we have yet to find.
Honestly. Who steals from a girl with her foot hanging off?
Two and a half hours later we made it to the ER where they popped my foot back into place, took X-Rays, and then sent me up to my room to prepare for surgery the next day. I was super surprised we had to have surgery. I was ready to get home and start getting ready for the 4th! They also told me that I would not be able to go to the Dominican Republic and to not plan on walking for 2 months, let alone running or riding my bike. At this point the adrenaline had worn off and the Morphine was pumping in and along with the morphine came the tears. I've decided I'm not a fan of morphine, it made me feel crazy. Honestly I am so soooo bummed about our trip. We were so excited and that has been hard to swallow.
Tuesday, July 1: Nine screws and two metal plates later, the surgery was a success and the doctor predicts a full recovery! I have to stay completely off of my feet for eight weeks and then will begin Physical Therapy somewhere in Omaha! I won't be able to drive unfortunately so if any of ya'll have any good craft or entertainment ideas I can do sitting on the couch send them my way! But at least I got out of packing up the house right?
Thursday, July 3rd Update: We are headed home and I am really looking forward to Tay washing my hair. I had no idea this whole thing was going to be so extensive. I thought they would give me a pretty red, white, and blue cast for people to sign and send me home! Now four days later we are finally leaving the hospital and Tay's bike is still MIA.
We made it home tonight to a bag of school supplies sitting on our porch. :( We decided we still want to send the school supplies so if you already had some, great, we will try to send those down to the DR anyway. So the Belcher's absolutely saved the day today. Paul had an accident about 3 years ago that left him completely laid up for 6 months, so he has been great to get advice from. They came by to visit and along with dinner brought the recliner that Paul slept in during his own recovery! I was dreading leaving my lovely reclinable hospital bed and so that was such a huge relief. And to top it off they brought me a "Santa's Bag" full of DVD's and other goodies. So wonderful!
This happened at the worst time ever and I am dreading all of the "downtime" I now have on my hands, but I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate all the notes and visits and phone calls. We have some rock star friends and family! You know who you are and I can't thank you enough! And I truly have a superstar husband, Tay has been such a huge help. I am so impressed, he has been so so so great .

Happy 4th of July to all. . . . I am not happy to be spending my favorite holiday inside but I'm still busting out my red, white, and blue clothes. So do something American for me this weekend!
P.S. Congrats to new mamma Mo, I cannot wait to meet Kyler! And Julie. . . I hope you are a new mamma soon. And if not, we will be couch buddies! XOXOXOXO
15 comments:
Oh Teig! I am so sorry! I was telling Jared all about your accident and he feels for you and we both wish you a quick recovery! Love your guts!!!!!!!!!!
I am sooo sorry about the trip. If there is anything Shalee, Tilly or myself can do let us know. I would also be more than willing to form a posse and go after the person that took Taylor's bike.
Teigan! Holy crow! I am hoping you don't mind me visiting with some pineapple cookies, but I rather you not be sick of treats, so let me know when you would like more visits?!
Hey teigan! It's Kristi Carver/Fey! I stalked you off Tias blog and I am so sad to hear about your injuries! I'll start thinking of some sitting entertainment for you! Hope you have a fast recovery!
Teig, I am so sorry Corey & I didn't come to see you in the hospital, we had no idea you were there for 4 days. We are planning to come visit you soon. Hang in there & we will see you soon.
Teigan, I am so sorry that happened. At least you don't have to help with the move, ha ha. I wish I was up there to come hang out with you. I hope you get well soon.
You're so much more of a super woman than me. I just had a tiny surgery; you had your whole ankle put back together. I guess we can be couch buddies across the ocean. Happy recuperating!
TEIGAN I feel like such a jerk not coming to see you yet. Can I come over tonight or tomorrow morning???? Do you need any movies or anything??? I have some trashy gossip magazines that are a couple weeks old that gave me something to do for a couple of hours. we do NOT have a baby but I'm going to the Doc tomorrow! hopefully soon. Let me know about tonight or tomorrow... better yet I'll just call you! xoxo
WHAT!? That is the nastiest break I've ever seen! And you have such a good attitude about it (at least in your writing). I'm so sorry you can't go to the DR! I hope your move goes smoothly and that you're back on your feet soon!
As bad as that sucks... you look pretty cute with that HUGE cast on your leg!
Rest and Recover Chica!
XOXO
Holy crap! I don't check your blog for a few days and now this! That's awful! I'm so sorry but glad it was your leg and not your neck. You guys just need to be lazy like most other people and stay home to do yard work or something boring. I'm so sorry about your trip. Hang in there.
P.S. I laughed out loud at the part where you were happy you shaved your legs. Seriously, you should have been crying!
Oh My Goodness, oh my goodness (yep I'm overhearing the movie "Annie" in the background) That is soo crazy! I think at one point or another everyone has to go through some medical "down time" so at least yours will be over with! When I was in the hospital for 8 weeks, I did a learn-to-speak-spanish CD rom program..so that's an option?!?
Wow Teig. That is so crazy! Jed and I have been obsessed with Jigsaw puzzles lately (am I really airing our nerdiness or what!!?!) but, we were SHOCKED to see the time fly by. So, there is my suggestion to help the time go by.
What an ordeal! I am so sad about your trip. I'm sure other opportunities will come along. We want to come visit this weekend. We'll call you.
Teigan I am so sorry! I can't believe that happened to you!! I am a pro on bed rest too! I loved renting TV series even the library has some! I hope your recovery goes quickly!!
Post a Comment