These pictures kind of remind me of what I saw in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. I remember cleaning a house for about 8 hours, and feeling a sense of achievement, like we were making progress. Then we walked out the front door and looked up the street at the dozens of other homes in total ruin. That feeling of progress quickly went away as I saw how much there was left to do. It was completely overwhelming, and that's kind of how I feel when I think about these people left to pick up the pieces in Japan.
But, the cherry blossoms still managed to bloom.
These pictures reminded me of an article I read last week. I can't find the exact link, but I saved some of the text:
"Still, as the trees bloom, sometimes amid mountains of rubble, they have become symbols of resilience. These cherry trees blossom each year despite any catastrophe,” said Noriyuki Kasai, the mayor of Hirosaki, a city on the edge of the disaster zone, some 400 miles north of Tokyo. “Like the trees, we will also recover,” he said."
For me, these pictures are a good reminder of the power of resiliency and hope. That as overwhelming as things can be, there is still beauty to be found. Even after a disaster.
For me, these pictures are a good reminder of the power of resiliency and hope. That as overwhelming as things can be, there is still beauty to be found. Even after a disaster.






7 comments:
Thank you. This was just what I needed to read, to see. I'd like to print this post and hang it on my wall to remind myself of those cherry blossoms. Love you.
Oh man. I needed this. My brother is in Kobe, and I seriously needed to see what it looks like. We are so happy he is there to help through all of this, and that your parents are there doing all they can.
how great of them to go and help with this. this is really beautiful. i love all of the blossoms. what great shots. pretty crazy that they have lived through this and katrina. like lived there. hmmm. love you guys!
Heartbreaking to see the amount of destruction. My brother-in-law is one of the heads of emergency response for the Church, and he has traveled to Japan twice now to help. The pictures and stories that he has about everything there are absolutely incredible. But the greatest part of his stories, like you said, are of the strength and goodness of the people.
I am so grateful that your parents are safe.
that's a good thought for a monday. good thought for any day really. nicely done
It is amazing how "Mother Nature" can reek such havoc and then follow up with something as beautiful as the cherry blossoms. Amazing!
Wow. When you scroll down to see the pictures it's almost as if you get slammed by a bus. I'm sure that's what they feel like each morning they wake up. Thanks for sharing, it sure helps put things into perspective.
Post a Comment