yells at each other.
Earlier this year I signed us up for a half marathon in Kansas City. One of our 2009 goals was to run a race together, and we didn't make it happen. So 2010 was our year. We started our training and were able to do most of our long runs together with B in the jogging stroller.
Turns out we aren't that nice to each other when we run. At least for the first few miles. We usually start to like each other again at about mile 3.
October came, and we made our way down to Kansas City with some of our favorite friends.
Turns out we aren't that nice to each other when we run. At least for the first few miles. We usually start to like each other again at about mile 3.
October came, and we made our way down to Kansas City with some of our favorite friends.
1.) I was high on adrenaline and Gatorade.
2.) Tay had an injury that made him cranky during the run. He calls it focused. I beg to differ.
3.) We decided at the beginning of the race to finish together and not worry about our times.
4.) His "focus" made me want to ditch him at times, my "Gatorade high" didn't help his "focus".
5.) Running 13.1 miles is much easier without pushing a jogging stroller and 23 pounds of cheeks.
6.) About 500 yards from the finish line, Tay snapped out of his "focused" mood, grabbed my hand, and we drug our butts across the finish line.
7.) We looked really tired.
8.) He later joked that he grabbed my hand because he was not about to let his wife beat him. He took my hand so he could "edge in for the win."
8.) I think he was serious.
9.) Either way, we finished at the exact same time.
10.) And all is well.
11.) Whenever I get tired while I'm running, I sing this song and pretend I'm in a Nike commercial.
10.) And all is well.
11.) Whenever I get tired while I'm running, I sing this song and pretend I'm in a Nike commercial.
12.) Food is amazing after you run 13.1 miles. No guilt and all the gelato your little heart desires.
13.) This is enough to make me want to run another half marathon.
13.1) Little B was there to meet us at the finish line. He doesn't look so little to me anymore.




11 comments:
I love this, and I love that you guys ran this together. Your cute picture goes right along with the quote I have from Pres. Hinckley that's in my entryway--"hand in hand," it's a good one. Congrats to my running friends!:)
I am grateful he grabbed your hand. That is cute and very gentlemen like of him. Sure beats tripping you for the win :)
congrats congrats! that's seriously so awesome of you guys! I love the hand holding picture...precious :) go team benson!
great post. glad to see it didn't cause any serious problems with your marriage. :) congrats to both of you. . . well done. spencer and i have a mini-tri on our list of goals......... who do you think will win that race and who do you think will die? hmm. he says he'll stay with me the whole time, but pretty sure he'll have the same "focus" as tay.
Ha ha! I loved this post. You're so creative. Jared and I can't even run together anymore because we end up mad at each other as well. We ran a marathon together a few years after we were married and haven't ran together since. I'm pretty sure it's because he can't stand me beating him :) Nice job! And you look way to nice to have just ran 13.1 miles.
i laughed when you said you think he was serious.. oh tay, it was a good plan!! Thats a pretty sweet picture. what's next? mt. everest?
Yay! Way to go! Love that you guys crossed the finish line together. And oh my gosh ... little Beck is so not little anymore. He's becoming quite the little man.
Congratulations! I was excited about the food after mine as well but then I felt sick for eating too much after such a long, hard run. Haha.
You guys are cute. So nice that you ran together. I'm still trying to convince Christopher to run with me. Ummmm Beck is so cute we definitely need to get these kids together! I'm all for bringing back arranged marriages! Congrats on the running the half.
Bahahah, if you think Tay is too "focused" during your run together, you do not want to run with me. First of all running with anyone who has longer legs than you (which isn't hard for us) sucks. Porter is always breezing along while im telling him to slow down. In out first half marathon we trained together and were way in shape, by mile 8 my IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) kicked in and I let him leave me in the dust. The 2nd half we ran I was sure to train harder than him and it worked out much better, we ran the whole thing together, but when I am hot and tired I'm not fun to be around, if he even tried to touch me I would freak out, ESPECIALLy at the end, so out final pictures are hilarious, he's all smiles and I'm literally glaring at him. Pretty funny, you two are so cute, good job!!! makes me wanna run another! I hope we see you over Christmas..maybe??
xoxox, sorry to write out an entire story :)
this is amazing. i love it. you two are hilarious. way to go! so impressed that you did this i want to also! so funny that he grabbed your hand! and little B is to die for.
loves!!
Post a Comment