9.20.2008

Ah, the Little Things



Dear Grandma Mac,

I just wanted to thank you for the vacuum cleaner. I never knew how much joy it would bring to our humble abode.

Since getting off crutches, I can't get enough of the sweet sound of dirt being sucked up by the mighty vacuum and the resulting tracks of clean carpet left behind. I know you can relate. 

Aside from now being able to jump out of bed for breakfast or welcome Taylor home at the door (to then direct him through the other room so as to not mess up the perfect lines of the vacuum), being able to use your vacuum has been a highlight of my day.

For example, last week I was lounging in my Gunderwears, looking for a job, when I was interrupted by the sound of the maintenance man letting himself into our apartment. In my haste to save him from the misfortune of seeing me in said Gunderwear, I launched myself off the couch and tried to run.  I was quickly reminded that my ankle is not quite ready for that kind of action, as it immediately gave out, leaving me on the floor, and the poor maintenance man with an unpleasant eyeful. I have a sad history of doing this to unwanting men (flash back to Freshman year in the dorms, being locked out of my room in a towel, a slick patch, and the poor, unsuspecting missionaries . . . ) but that's another story. Once I was safely dressed, I needed to make myself feel better about the situation.  So I decided to vacuum.  And I walked behind the vacuum. All by myself.  No crutches, no wheelchair, just me and the machine.

Have I found the perfect job yet? No.
Did I scar the maintenance man for life? Probably.
Did breaking my ankle bring back the joy of vacuuming? Absolutely.

So thanks again Grandma. You made my day today.

Love you lots,

Teigan

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That made me laugh outloud.

Shelf said...

That is hilarious!! I hope your ankle is okay. That will teach the maintenance man to knock next time...although I hate to say it but he probably enjoyed it!

Sara and Company said...

Hee hee! I can SOOOOO appreciate that. Not the broken ankle part, but our vacuum was broken for like a month and we finally broke the bank and bought the coveted dyson. I don't know if I'm completely in love with the dyson itself or just having a vacuum, but I just leave it out so it is easy to start pushing around and sucking to my heart's content! Happy day for you!

Jo said...

I called and read your letter to Gramma - she laughed the whole way through the story. She is glad her vacuum is bringing you such adventure and joy! X O

Corbo and Trav Hanson said...

I'm glad that you are back and at em' vaccuming and all :) I hope you find a job soon too. Any how, I think I am going to get DVR because I teach exercise classes at the TTU rec, thus, I can pay for it with that extra moola. Argh-I may be all talk and will let you know when and if it happens :)p.s. how are you handling the first semester of law school?!?! I'm here for ya if you need me.......

Melissa said...

I had to giggle at that one. I can only imagine. Well maybe I am a computer dummy, but I don't have your email address and I couldn't figure out how to email you through blogger. Mine is melissarobbinsroth@gmail.com so just send me a quick email and I will be happy to send you my address. PS good luck with job hunting I hate doing that.

Kelly said...

That is so cute! It is the maintanance man's fault for thinking he can just walk into your apartment. That is a great story that you will laugh about years down the road.

Stacy Ellison said...

that was hilarious! i love it! i found your blog from kim's! i hope you don't mind! :)i bet you made that maintanance mans day!

Jade and Michael said...

that is so sweet. i also love the sound of sucking up dirt! poor maintenance man.... but so funny. i can only imagine what you were doing.
miss you.

Heather said...

Oh the simple things in life that make us so happy.

Julie said...

I almost peed my pants when I read this. So thanks for that.

Erin Page said...

Love love loved this! So dang funny! I must admit though...I have never heard the story of you in the dorms and the unsuspecting missionaries...I'll have to hear that one next time I talk to you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails