9.30.2010

Freeways and Wedding Cake

Four years ago yesterday, my new husband and I were on our way from our wedding in Logan to our reception in Salt Lake City.  It was a gorgeous fall day . . . the leaves were golden, the sun was shining, and we were both about to explode with excitement. We were raving about the leaves when all of a sudden the traffic on the freeway came to a standstill.  Workers were trying to clean up a car accident that completely shut down the freeway, and suddenly, I-15 became a parking lot.


We decided to make the most of it.  People opened their windows, turned their music on, and we partied on the freeway.  We were still in our wedding best, and got a lot of strange look and a lot of high fives from our new traffic jam friends. We even made it on some Filipino documentary on Americans. At least that's what they told us they were doing. (You can see the camera man in the back of the picture above).

And then an hour went by, and we realized we weren't going to have time to take family pictures. Traffic still wasn't moving. Half an hour later, we realized we weren't going to have time to eat before the reception started. Another fifteen minutes went by, and we realized there was a good chance we were going to miss the first half of our reception. That's when we decided it was time to use my wedding dress and veil to score some sympathy points with a police man. He eventually cleared a path for us and let us use the on-ramp as an exit ramp so we could find another way to get to Salt Lake.


We made it to our reception only half an hour late and the rest of the celebration went on without a hitch. But some of my favorite moments of that day were on the freeway with Taylor.

And that's how I know I picked the right one. Life isn't always a party, but with him by my side, I know we'll figure out a way to be happy.

We joked about that yesterday as we sat in traffic on our way to dinner.  September 29th is sort of like our new years, where we set new goals and hopefully check some goals off our previous list. Every year we celebrate with soup and pumpkin cake, and we have to do one act of service for someone else for every year that we've been together. Well, we got our soup and pumpkin. Failed miserably on the service.


We decided to give ourselves an extension through the weekend and report back to each other on Sunday.  Next year we'll be more on top of things.

So glad I said yes four years ago. Here's to another happy year!

13 comments:

Tia and Cam said...

i was also stuck in that traffic that day.. by myself though, it wasn't very much fun, but the party after i arrived sure was! i made it in time for the hawaii 5-0 dance. horrah to traffic and wedding cakes and 4 years!!

Julie said...

I love those pictures! What a great memory. I hope you guys enjoyed your hot date! You could count one of your acts of service as talking to me on skype before your date. I needed someone friendly to talk to! =)

You guys are awesome. Happy 4 years!

Kira Jay said...

Yay for 4 years! I love those pics of you guys on the freeway! Makes for a great story!

Noel Family said...

Oh my gosh, that is the best story ever! Although, I probably would've been in tears at that moment, so I'm very impressed you weren't! :) Congratulations!

Emilee Porter said...

You guys are seriously the cutest couple ever! Happy 4 years - I know you guys will have a million more together :)

Melissa said...

Congrats! You two are so cute, and the freeway story is awesome. And btw, I think you've performed plenty of service lately...I need to get my plants back from you soon, sorry they've been staying an extra week--their momma hasn't missed them too much!:)

Jo said...

Fun memories indeed! Glad that we made it through before they closed the freeway down. At least we had time to get everything ready before ya'll arrived. Quite a party! We made your pumpkin waffles for Sunday dinner tonight. Quite tasty! X O : )

Melissa said...

I just love reading how much you two love each other, it is such a good reminder to me to be a little nicer. I bet Beckham can think of at least four acts of service you have rendered. Congratulations on four happy years

Unknown said...

Love hearing that story, its the best! It sure beats me leaving my reception early cuz I was sick. (people didn't believe i was sick and was making it up to get out early haha...but really, i was sick) Anyhow, happy anniversary guys!

Cade + Tosha said...

so fun! you guys are so awesome you make a traffic jam cool :) I like your service idea! also the soup...you can go ahead and send me that recipe...i'm collecting soup recipes these days and i would be happy to make room for your recipe in my collection.

but, yay for 4 years and yay for love!

Jill Bowcutt said...

Still one of the best wedding stories ever. Only because you guys didn't freak out. And how in the heck do you make chocolate bowls? I LOVE that idea! Email me at jjbowcutt@yahoo.com (unless it's a family secret. But hey, I'm family!)

Stacey and Brody Miller said...

Ya'll are such a cute couple. That's a cute story.

Zachary, Christen, and Chloe said...

Such a cute story! Love it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails